Tuesday 18 September 2012

Proverbs

Let’s start with a joke, just because I thought this was brilliant.

“I’ve bought heroin four days in a row now, I’m starting to think I’m a shopaholic.”

Good, wanted to get that out of my system. It is slightly relevant though. Some people are addicted to drugs, others binge on alcohol. You do get some rarer addictions like anti-depressants and 50 Shades of Grey. However, I am yet to meet anyone who shares my habit. Second hand books.

Put me in a charity shop or a second hand book store and I will not leave quickly. When I am eventually dragged out, I will be the owner of 10 or 15 new (not new) books, most of which I don’t actually want and none of which I will ever read. A recent clear out of my room unearthed books such as:

  • A guide of wildlife in woodlands in the spring time. I think I bought this because it looked old.
  • An introduction to psychology. Not in itself unusual. In fact, it went really well with the other two copies of it I had.
  • An AS Level biology text book. Actually, I probably should’ve read that at some point.

Last weekend I found myself at another second hand book stall at a fete, and obviously I came away with more books. A compilation of Agatha Christie novels that I probably won’t get round to reading before I retire, the life works of Peter Cook (because I’ve heard of him) and a book of poetry that I will never open, because it had a nice cover. However, I did buy one book that I’m actually interested in, called “A Treasury of Essential Proverbs”. I had to buy it, it was essential.

Proverbs are a strange phenomena. They are short phrases, probably not more than 10 words long, that ideally will lead you to living a better life if you abide by them. Some of them seem obvious (Money isn’t everything), some of them have been translated from Chinese (Good medicines tastes bitter) and some of them make no sense at all (The more it changes, the more it remains the same).

Anyway, he’s a select few:

The pen is mightier than the sword
You can see what the writer is getting at, if you’re prepared to be all metaphorical about it. However, I like to think that he make his maker turning up to a medieval duel with a biro.

You can’t put new wine into old barrels
I don’t really understand this one, because it simply isn’t true. Ironically, the only time you would believe this proverbs is when you’re incredibly drunk.

Live and let live
I don’t want to boast, but I abide by this proverb almost every single day. Almost.

A stumble may prevent a fall
Most proverbs deal with overall morality and how to live a better life every day. This one is purely a useful tip about walking, which in reality is much more practical.

All’s well that ends well
I have nothing to say about this. I just thought it was a good one to finish on.

No comments:

Post a Comment